Tastes like a chocolate truffle in a glass !
2 cups heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups good chocolate*
1 oz. espresso, optional*
4 strawberries to garnish
Espresso beans to garnish
Recipe makes 4 portions
Place egg yolks sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside.
Bring the cream to a boil in a saucepan.
Slowly pour the cream over the egg yolks to temper.
Stir constantly with a whisk.
It is important to add the cream slowly, a little at a time, so the eggs do not scramble.
When all the cream is added to the egg yolks
Pour it back into the sauce pan and cook at LOW temp until it just starts to thicken
DO NOT let it boil or the eggs will scramble... BAD NEWS
This is basically Creme Anglaise Sauce or Custard
Pour over the chocolate and stir with a whisk.
Add the espresso and stir.
Pour the chocolate into small ramekins or coffee cups. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
Be sure to cover them tightly with plastic because the chocolate will absorb refrigerator odors, especially as it cools.
Garnish the with whipped cream and top with a chocolate covered espresso bean or a strawberry.
* Try several different types of chocolates until you find the one you like best.
* Avoid adding too much sugar to chocolate, it dulls the taste and cheapens the robust flavor.
* Coffee has a high acid content. Acid is a flavor magnifier. Coffee magnifies the flavor of chocolate
* How about making this recipe with Butterscotch instead of Chocolate
* Try adding a little booze to this recipe, kahlua, Bailey's etc